Friday, December 13, 2013

WISHFUL THINKING OF A MISSIONARY - THE FAMOUS WILLIAM CAREY

The wicked, disrespectful  and intolerant mind of a Missionary is reflected in this poem. Most Hindus , especially those belonging to priestly vocation, will never compose such a poem, condemning the dieties/prophets of another religion.

Composed in Bengalee by Mr. Carey and translated  into English by J.Fountain.
The Indian  renouncing Heathenism, and embracing Christianity.  (p.309) www.wmcarey.edu/carey/staughton/308-309 .jpg

11.     In serving vain idols, why thus spend my days,
Since  nought but destruction attends all my ways?
The Lord of the world did descend from on high,
And was born in our nature all sin to destroy.

22.     Hitherto my whole soul, full of darkness has been,
And like other people I’ve gone on in sin,
With them I was drowning in misery’s deep,
And on earth I discovered no way of escape

33.     Seeb, Doorga, and Kallee, could  give me no aid,
No Debta nor Debbee, no offerings were made,
No Brammhan, no Yogee, no deed done by me,
No, not all these united can set my soul free.

44.     These all are quite useless, I’ve found them all vain,
From the power of JESUS some hope I obtain:
These heavens and this earth are the work of his hands;
He animates all things; all superintends.

55.     My sin,  and my holiness, now are my shame!
My passions, my wishes, my honour, my name;
I now lay all down at CHRIST JESUS’ feet,
And trust, though a sinner, I mercy shall get.

66.     Ho! All sinful people, this good news attend,
Salvation and Righteousness, now apprehend;
This, this is the order he gives unto you,
And then after death you to glory shall go.


No comments:

Post a Comment